REGISTRATION AND DISCLOSURE
Central Registration Depository (CRD)
Presentation Changes and New Functionality in the Central Registration Depository (CRD®) System
FINRA is introducing enhancements and presentation changes in the CRD system that relate to the implementation of FINRA’s restructured qualification examination program and the adoption of consolidated FINRA registration rules. These changes, effective October 1, 2018, principally affect the Examination Requests and SRO Registrations sections.
• FINRA Information Notice (September 24, 2018): Presentation Changes and New Functionality in the Central Registration Depository (CRD®) System
Continuing Education Program Transformation
FINRA seeks comment on a proposal to implement the recommendations of the Securities Industry/Regulatory Council on Continuing Education (CE Council) enhancing the continuing education requirements for securities industry professionals. The proposal would change the: (1) Regulatory Element to provide annual training, make the content more relevant, incorporate diverse instructional formats, publicize the learning topics in advance and enhance the related management systems; (2) Firm Element to expressly recognize other training requirements, improve the guidance and resources available to firms and establish a content catalog; and (3) Continuing Education Program to enable individuals who terminate their registrations the option of maintaining their qualification by completing continuing education. The comment period expires on June 30, 2020
• FINRA Regulatory Notice 20-05 (February 18, 2020): FINRA Requests Comment on a Proposal to Implement the Recommendations of the CE Council Regarding Enhancements to the Continuing Education Program for Securities Industry Professionals
MSRB to Launch Permanent Series 54 Examination November 12, 2019
The MSRB permanent Municipal Advisor Principal Qualification Examination (Series 54) is now available. As provided for under MSRB Rule G-3, municipal advisor principals are required to take and pass the Series 54 examination in order to become appropriately qualified to engage in the management, direction or supervision of the municipal advisory activities of the municipal advisor and its associated persons. To facilitate the transition to the new exam requirement, the MSRB is providing a one-year grace period, sunsetting on November 12, 2020, during which individuals qualified with the Series 50 examination will be able to take the Series 54 examination while continuing to engage in principal-level activities. The score required to pass the Series 54 examination is 70 percent.
• MSRB Regulatory Notice 2019-18 (October 11, 2019): MSRB To Launch Permanent Series 54 Examination November 12, 2019
• MSRB Regulatory Notice 2019-19 (October 18, 2019): MSRB Revises Content Outline For The Municipal Advisor Principal Qualification Examination
Test Results Information
Effective October 1, 2018, FINRA restructured its representative-level qualification examination program. In conjunction with the restructuring, FINRA no longer provides a total score and a score profile for each major section of the content outline to candidates who pass a qualification examination. FINRA believes that providing such information is unnecessary once a candidate has met the minimum score threshold for passing an examination. However, FINRA continues to provide a total score and a score profile for each major section of the content outline to a candidate who fails an examination
• Securities Exchange Act Release No. 84376 (October 5, 2018), 83 FR 51720 (October 12, 2018) (File No. SR-FINRA-2018-036): Notice of Filing and Immediate Effectiveness of a Proposed Rule Change Relating to Provision of Test Result Information to Candidates Who Pass a FINRA Qualification Examination